Sunday, September 30, 2012

Time, she ain't no friend of mine...


Holy cow, so many developments and despite a full time work job and a full time home job I really have no good excuse for not updating this thing more often!   In fact I’m fairly certain as I was discussing this out loud with little man the other day somewhere in his adorable (and loud) baby gibberish I heard him mutter “slacker”.  Perhaps he and daddy have been working on his language skills while I’m gone  :/

Speaking of language skills this is just one of the many new additions to his bag of tricks.  We have finally moved from our B’s (Babababwbwba) on to A’s some T’s and of course D’s (read DADA) although he doesn’t realize what he’s saying yet, I’m encouraging it and pointing and hoping he will make the connection soon.  Still no Mama’s but that’s to be expected, for now I will happily settle for he huge grin and lunging reach I get from him when I get home at night!  He shows great vocal range, all they way from his ear piercing shrieking little girl impersonation (which of course he executes to perfection anytime we are in a public place, and all the better if it has excellent sound carrying properties) to this freaky “Damien-esk” growl (that unfortunately sounds exactly like the little kid from The Shinning when he chants “red rum”… uughguggh gives me the willies every time!)

His mobility has already reached the “batten down the hatches” stage too.  While he has been army crawling for close to two months he surprised us last week by actually bothering to put his knees under him and crawl!  We just sort of assumed he might skip it all together but as usual the only rules Matthew follows are his own ;)
So in addition to his own hybrid crawling style he has also begun standing for short periods all on his own.  We are dangerously close to a walking tornado!
The cabinet locks go on order today, as he has now realized these cool new doors open just like the ones on his activity table (good teaching leapfrog…thanks for nothing) and every surface has become a place to pull himself up to explore.  It is equal parts amazing and terrifying to watch this stage of advancement.  As I sat in his play yard with him a few days ago and he executed one of his stand up maneuvers from my lap I just grabbed him and hugged him and begged STOP STOP STOP (literally I said that out loud)…but isn’t that the challenge of parenthood?  They cant stop, and we, for as much as we might truly wish to freeze time, are supposed to encourage and enable them to GO GO GO…pride and pain, who would have ever suspected they could be such close cousins.

As the holidays approach we are so excited to see these new experiences through his eyes and I promise that we (either he or I cause at this rate he will be better than me on the computer by 10mos) will keep you updated. 

Lots of love, gotta go chase down the baby…
Lori Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment