Tuesday, February 14, 2012

If you want to make God laugh...make a plan...

I knew that parenthood would bring with it all types of lessions, patience being one I was already working on as I had been ready to get Mr. man here "early" as it was, but I honestly did not expect it to start the second this child sliped forth into this world...surprise.    As described previously the moments after Matthew's birth were tense and confusing and I'd be lying if I didnt aknowledge that they were dissapointing too.  See, we had a birth plan...had a plan...we wanted immediate skin to skin contact between Matthew and I for as long as possible, medical checks and APGAR's to be taken while he rested on my chest and we worked on geting to know each other.  Prolonged cord clamping to ensure he got the full benefit of that last placental transfusion into his little body.  We had decided to breast feed so we requested no bottles and no pacis to avoid as much confusion as possible, and we wanted to try baby led latching, allowing Matthew to guide our first nursing session...such grand plans...and all reasons that we chose to pursue natural child birth.  How many of thoses wishes came true...zero.  Now dont get me wrong, I like to think I'm a rational person and as such had aknowledged in our birth plan that these were all the things we wanted to have happen, baring any medical complications, but who in their right mind expects complications...especially on the level of ours...lesson one:  Hi Mom and Dad, you are no longer in control of your world!  Love Matthew
Score;  baby: one     parents: zero







However, the second lesson rested nestled in the terrifying moments of the first; live and let God.  You may think you have the plan, but the plan has long been made.  Sit back, try to relax and take each moment as it is presented to you cause they are all, the good and the bad, gifts.  And now as we try to find our new routine here at home, with our perfectly healthy, perfectly wonderful gift from God (as his name implies) I'm trying really hard to stop holding my breath, waiting for that next lesson.  I know they are coming, some in more pleasant ways than other, but each as important as the next.  So naive to think I would be the teacher....


Yours truly,
A perpetual student of life
Lori Ann

2 comments:

  1. beautifully written Lori Ann! Bran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home little Matthew, just so you know your Mom and Dad are brilliant and very positive thinkers, you are a blessing to their lives and ours, hope to see you very soon

    ReplyDelete