Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby wearing...and other hippy-dippy exploits

I stand before you today (metaphorically speaking) with my hand over my heart and three fingers held high, a-la the girl scout promise, and say; I am a breast feeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering mamma! 
( I am not yet convinced that the extra one hour of sleep I eek out in the morning by putting this little booger on my chest constitutes co-sleeping so I am holding off on my Birkenstock purchase for the time being).  However, I am a bit shocked myself at the evolution in my thinking regarding my actual parenting style vs. what I thought this reality might look like five years ago.  Please don't misunderstand, I do not now nor have I ever thought the items above to be weird, odd or more or less helpful/harmful to the development of a child, they just simply were not ideas I pictured myself embracing pre-children.  I also find it slightly ironic that I see this as an evolution, considering that the definition of the word typically involves progression and forward thinking yet the very items I am speaking of are actually as old as time.  From the dawn of man women wore their babies, not because Dr. Sears told them too, but because they had things to do!  Firewood to gather, fields to plow, mastodon to kill!  Women breastfed because that was what they had to do, there was no "perfectly formulated" formula, breast milk was the perfect food: easily accessible, readily available and FREE.  And I don't even want to think about the diapering, disposables were clearly not an option, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that little baby loin cloths were certainly harder to clean than today's modernized cloth versions.


                                 My clothesline...what must the neighbors think?!?


                                     A cute cloth diapered bum...post two months shots :(


Look, I am not ready to start manufacturing my own hand milled bath soaps to sell on the roadside and at Phish concerts but these things really work for me and my little dude and I should mention that my big dude totally supports, embraces and encourages these ideas as well, and that's really progressive! (You go babe! )
While no one way is the right way and I continue to support a to each his/her own attitude, this is the path our family is traveling.  We are living and we are thriving!  Just wait until we get the chicken coop erected in the back yard :)


DISCLAIMER:  This blog was written in jest and means no disrespect to you actual hippies out there.  I find your attitudes towards peace love and happiness totally groovy!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Funny that I thought I would do all those things and am doing none of them! I blame it on having two of them...
    But I am DETERMINED to make my own baby food when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making Cora's food probably starting next month! I'll save all the good recipes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! Perspective is everything. I found this out when I had Joey. It is so funny that all these years we just thought our moms were these magic creatures that dusted, while baking, while planning the most awesome birthday party, all with a smile on their face. Now I truly know all of the back end, hard work, greuling long hours till the middle of the night, all for this little miracle that we grew inside of us. It is absolutely amazing and I love everything that you are embracing and you are doing a great job! Love you all!

    Aunt Mina :)

    ReplyDelete